Once you have created your configuration, it's time to insert your elements.
You have two ways to insert elements on a Host:
1. Insert Elements
- Select one category of Host elements (Walls, Structural Framing, Parts, etc.)
- Click Insert Elements
- Select Smart Connections Configuration Group
- Select Smart Connections Configuration (DC)
- Run Insert Elements
If you run Insert Elements without selecting Host elements, then the tool will ask you to pick elements or Category.
Select Element in Model - tool will switch to selection mode and you will have to select Host elements.
Pick one of the Categories - and it will open window, where all elements of this Category will be listed.
Select Category in Model - will do the same, but you will have to pick Category from the model.
In this window you can work with selected Category elements:
1. Group them on the left side of screen by using Configure Grouping so that you can see any information about them.
2. View any Instance or Type parameters of those elements by using Select Parameters at the bottom of middle screen.
3. Update, Insert, Edit Configuration of selected elements in this window.
4. Simply select elements - selecting elements in this window, selects them in the model.
2. Auto Insert
When you start using Smart Connections, the tool adds Smart Details Configuration shared parameter to the project. This parameter is added as a Type parameter for all Categories compatible with Smart Connections - Walls, Parts, Columns, Pipes, etc.
To use Auto Insert, you have to fill that parameter with the name of the Configuration that you want to use. After executing the Auto Insert command, the tool will not ask you to pick a configuration; instead it will read the name of the Configuration from the Smart Details Configuration parameter and start inserting elements.
Benefits of Auto Insert:
- Much quicker
- Elements in your company Template project may already have names of Configurations added.
- In Loadable Families like Column, Structural Framing, etc. you can use formulas to use different names of configurations, based on defined conditions.
- If you select, column, beam, and wall and all of them have different configurations assigned, one click will insert them all.